This is blog was created to share some tidbits of our daily lives

and advocate on behalf of the 143 million orphans around the world!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Memorizing Scripture Challenge

Okay, I am very excited about a new challenge I am taking, and hope you will join me. I was reading Beth Moore's blog and she decided to make memorizing scripture a priority for the new year. I loved her thoughts on this and was really needing something to encourage me throughout the ups and downs of life.
On her blog, livingproofministries.blogspot.com, Beth says, "Be held captive by Christ-centered thoughts, rather than led away by destructive thoughts." Wow! How often I allow myself to be carried away by destructive thoughts. She'd caught my attention, and I was listenin'! She said when we memorize and meditate on scripture our...
1. Brains are bathed. 2. Our brains are sharpened. 3. Our ammunition is loaded. She says, "Girlfriends, this is how we wield the sword of the spirit!"
She says, " John 15:7-8- The more God's word abides in is, the more the mind of Christ is developed in us. The end result will be that we will pray more and more of God's will, and get more and more of what we asked. Do not think for a moment that praying in the will of God narrows your requests. It blows them wide open! Ask Him in this Jesus-year to explode your effectiveness in prayer then watch it happen!"

Okay, I was totally in by this point. Here's how to do it!
1.Buy a new set of index cards with a spiral.
2.Pray about your bible verses. She encourages you to pick your own rather than simply choosing the ones she chose, but says it's okay to use hers if you'd like!
3. On the first and 15th of the month, you'll pick your verse, write the verse on your index card and memorize them. (Take them everywhere with you.) Two scriptures a month for 12 months. That's 24 verses of God's holy word imprinted on our hearts, but ammunition ready to fire when those destructive thoughts and daily dilemmas occur!
4. She recommends that you do this acrostic
a. R- Read it over and over again. (out loud)
b. E- examine it--looks for ways to remember how to get it in the right order and such.
c. N- Need it!
d. E- Echo it- Read a part of it, then echo it looking away from the card..
e. W- Wield it - the sword of the spirit...USE IT!!!

She says to get the weapon out of the sheath!
So, that's what I am doing. I have called up a friend to keep me accountable, and would love to encourage any of you to do it with me. I know we will be blessed. If you choose to do this, leave a comment and type in the comment section the verse that you are going to do and the scripture where it came from . Look on this blog on the 1st and the 15Th for my new verse and add yours to the comment section. (I would love to have more comments from those of you who check in!)

Here's my new verse;
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus! Philippians 4:6,7

Blessings!
J.

No comments: